- Undergraduate Research Support
- Transportation to and from BML
- Student Health Care
- Mental Health Resources
- Professional Development Resources
- Conflict Resolution
- Contact Graduate Student Representatives
If you are an undergraduate looking for research opportunities at Bodega Marine Laboratory, we recommend:
- Consider taking summer school classes, and contacting labs to enroll in independent research units. You can read about the labs at BML here.
- If you wish to pursue independent research during the school year, there are several resources to help you:
- Transportation options to and from BML are listed below.
- After finding a lab accepting student researchers, we suggest that you either apply for independent research units, or pursue a funding opportunity to help offset costs.
- General information on funding can be found at the UC Davis Undergraduate Research Center, and a list of potential opportunities can be found in the Undergraduate Research Program Information Matrix.
- There are also Provost Undergraduate Research Fellowships that award students up to $1,800 to fund an independent project, with further information found at the UC Davis Provost's Undergraduate Fellowship (PUF) website.
To help offset student costs for transportation to and from BML, and increase connectivity between BML and main campus, there are several options:
Undergraduates: you may sign up for research units at the lab, which are conducted on the day of a free vanpool to BML in the morning, returning to main campus in the evening. More information on this opportunity can be found here (LINK TBD).
Graduate students: If you are a graduate student traveling from BML to main campus and back, there is a vehicle available for your use, which includes paid gas and main campus parking. Instructions on how to use are below:
- Step 1: Read the user guidelines, and fill out form.
- Step 2: Sign up for travel dates on the Ride-Share Calendar.
- Be sure to sign up for both directions if you need round-trip transit. If you need to be picked up in Petaluma, be sure to mark "Y" in the cell under the travel date.
- Step 3: Communicate with your fellow day-of riders in advance as needed.
- Use the master contact list to get in contact with your fellow riders as needed.
- Step 4: Day-of Use
- The designated driver is responsible for getting the key from the grad cube offices, printing out the list of riders for the week (from the online calendar), filling out the pre-launch checklist (a reusable version will live inside a binder within the vehicle), and the reverse for the ride back to BML.
If these transportation options are not available to you, we encourage exploring other transportation options with your lab point of contact to minimize the need to drive and offset personal costs. If not, driving directions to BML can be found here (along with BML housing options, found here). Cellular service is patchy in western Sonoma County, so please plan accordingly.
For students located at BML permanently that do not have easy access to on-campus healthcare, there are several local healthcare options available to you that are covered by UC SHIP insurance.
UC Davis provides a list of approved in-network dentists (be sure to select “Delta Dental PPO” under “Plan”). However, some of the dental healthcare providers used by BML students accepting UC SHIP insurance are listed below:
- Nataliya Vorobets DDS, Family Dentistry, 318 S Main St, Sebastopol, CA 95472, (707) 823-3654
- Dr. Eun Sub Jang DDS, 7138 Willow St, Sebastopol, CA 95472, (707) 823-5308
- Virtual counseling: Student Health and Counseling Services has partnered with Live Health Online to provide access to psychologists via video conferencing using your smartphone or tablet. You can schedule visits that are convenient for you, in a location of your choosing. Use the coupon code UCDCOUNSELING to receive these visits at no charge.
- Mental health staff are also available 24 hours a day 7 days a week by phone at (530) 752-2349. Follow the prompts to reach a mental health counselor.
- In person counseling requires a referral from your primary care physician, which can typically be done by contacting you physician online via student health. They can then refer you to a local specialist.
- Other general information on main campus mental health resources can be found here.
- Be sure to join the CMSI graduate student listserve by contacting Sherri Mann. CMSI regularly hosts workshops, panels, and symposiums to practice your presentation and networking skills.
- Another organization to join - the Bodega Marine Sciences Association (BMSA) provides opportunities to engage in community outreach and learn about activities at BML.
- We working to bring professional development workshops out to Bodega Marine Laboratory, but for now check out the Grad Studies Professional Development page for information on resources provided on campus.
- If you TA on campus, you can take advantage of FREE TA consultations through the Center for Educational Effectiveness. This center also provides quarterly workshops (on campus) for graduate students.
- Interested in developing your science communication skills? Join the Bodega Science Communication Collective! For more information, contact Katie DuBois.
- Ask your advisor and/or committee about professional development opportunities they would suggest!
- Diversity resources for graduate students
- Diversity at BML & BMR
- General information on UC Davis problem and dispute resolution resources.
- Main campus resources can come to BML to help facilitate conflict resolution. If you wish to utilize these resources, please contact Pat Helbling and Jean-pierre Delplanque.
Have thoughts or ideas of how we can improve life as a graduate student at BML? Talk to your peer representatives!
BML Graduate Student Representative - This representative works closely with the BML administration, faculty, and staff to address student needs.
BML Graduate Student UCD Campus Representative - This representative works with the campus Graduate Student Association to advocate for the unique needs of BML students
CMSI Graduate Student Representatives - These students represent the BML graduate student community for CMSI