Adding your email address to the BML and CMSI internal mail distribution lists
Mail lists for internal use include:
- email@example.com - List audience is for Summer Students, instructors and other associates. Students send emails here for everything class related. Students are listed on the bml-residents list as well (see below).
- firstname.lastname@example.org - List audience is for everyone at BML on a daily basis, students, faculty, staff, visiting and resident researchers. This list is intended for internal, general announcements for example "Seeking a ride to Davis...". You must be a member of the BML lists to send and receive announcements.
- email@example.com - List audience includes the bml-residents and Summer Session lists, PLUS many UCD faculty, and more, beyond California. Rarely should anyone need to send to this list unless a message needs to be broadcast to the broadest possible BML audience, such as an event announcement. You must be a member of the BML lists to send and receive announcements.
- firstname.lastname@example.org - List audience includes faculty, staff, students, and Campus affiliated researchers. This list is intended for internal announcements. The BML-residents list is subscribed to CMSIUCD. If you are in the BML-residents list, you don't need to subscribe to CMSIUCD, if you do, you may receive duplicate messages.
email@example.com - List audiences includes graduate students or postdocs at BML and CMSI. This list is for sharing seminar announcements, marine-related funding sources, CMSI social events and updates, ride share and couch surfing opportunities.
To subscribe to a list
Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org from the address you want to subscribe to the list.
Sympa is not a person but a mailing list management robot.
In the subject line of your message, type in: subscribe nameofthelist Firstname Name (replace 'nameofthelist' by the name of the list you want to subscribe to and indicate your own first name and name).
- Leave the message body blank.
After this, you will receive a message telling you whether your request was accepted or not: if the subscription to the list is subject to any approval, the list owner may choose not to subscribe you. If so, do not send several other requests: it is useless as the result will remain the same. You can possibly send a message directly to the list owner (email@example.com) to explain why you really want to subscribe to the list...
Note: you will sometimes be asked to confirm your subscription request before it can be processed. If so, please conform to the instructions contained in the message you receive.
Unsubscribing from lists
To unsubscribe from a list, do as follows:
From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the subject line of your email, type in: unsubscribe nameofthelist (replace 'nameofthelist' by the name of the list you want to unsubscribe from).
- Leave the message body blank.
Creating an Email Distribution List
UC Davis provides a central email list service, Sympa, which is primarily supported by IT Express. An Email distribution list is useful when you need one address that can serve as a contact for a group or project, to distribute email to a group of people.
Any UC Davis affiliate with a UCD Kerberos account, including staff, faculty and students, can create mail lists through the UCD Sympa website.
You can create open lists that anyone can send messages to or closed lists which only subscribers can send to. Subscribers may include off-campus mail addresses.
For additional information on how to manage your UC Davis mail lists & subscriptions, including how to remove your address from a list, please see the UC Davis mail list subscriber instructions.
Please note that there are many more BML email distribution lists. If you need to be added to one of these lists, please contact BML IT - if we manage the list we can add you, otherwise we can direct you to the person who can add you.