At BML and BMR we have a responsibility to follow policies and requirements to help protect fellow community members. This information is intended to serve as a dynamic guide for what you can expect as our operations evolve, and what will be expected of you. Please check back often for new resources and information.
Please direct questions about these processes to the BML COVID Workgroup.
COVID-19 Policies for All Users
All Users must follow these steps below before accessing BML and BMR:
- Read through the BML/BMR worksite plan: COVID-19 Safety Plan & Operating Procedures and the COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfection Protocols.
- Complete the Daily Symptom Survey. You must have an “Approved” confirmation from the Symptom Survey before you appear on site.
- Monitor your symptoms, stay home if you’re sick and report positive cases for yourself or members of your household.
- Everyone is required to comply with routine COVID testing policies, see below.
- Everyone is required to wear face coverings indoors regardless of vaccination status.
- If a person is fully vaccinated, the only time a face covering can be removed indoors is when that person is alone in an office or in a cubicle. If a person is unvaccinated, they must wear a face covering indoors at all times and outdoors in crowded spaces.
- Review the requirements for healthy behaviors.
Routine COVID Testing
Compliance with the UC Davis Screening and Testing Program now requires routine testing for all registered students and employees, regardless of how often you access BML/BMR facilities:
- Starting on Sept. 9, unvaccinated UC Davis students and employees are required to undergo testing and report results at least every four days.
- Starting on Sept. 20, UC Davis students and employees who have verified they are fully vaccinated are required to undergo testing and report results at least every 14 days.
- UC Davis affiliates who are not fully vaccinated but have an approved exception must undergo testing every four days, see “Testing”.
- Non-UC affiliates who are not fully vaccinated must undergo testing every four days, see “Testing”.
Fully vaccinated individuals are encouraged to get tested voluntarily on a more frequent basis. The campus testing guidance aligns with CDC guidance that frequent COVID-19 testing contributes to low case rates in university and healthcare settings.
In addition to complying with the policies and Daily Symptom Survey as outlined above, all non-UC Davis visitors (UC and Non-UC affiliates) entering buildings or BML facilities, or working on the Reserve must:
- Undergo COVID-19 testing every four days, see “Testing” - OR -
- Provide verification of vaccination:
BML and BMR Phase 3 Operation
Under Phase 3, facilities can accommodate up to 66% of full capacity (100 people at BML), and non-essential research can begin. For staffing and safety considerations, BML housing will not exceed 50% capacity this summer.
For BML, PPE are still required inside of the lab and in all rooms. To accommodate more researchers in individual labs, PIs will be able to coordinate their groups above the maximum capacity currently posted in labs and meeting spaces. For researchers working on the Reserve, the campus advises that masks should be worn when working with large groups, which UC Davis has not defined in terms of a number, so researchers' discretion is advised.
In Phase 3 BML/BMR remain closed to the public, however specific requests can be made and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, contact Al Carranza.
Phase 3 allows requests to use BML for all UC Davis affiliates and opens requests for all other UCs and their affiliates, as well non-UC requesters.
All PIs, or any hosts of visitors coming to BML, must
- Email the Lab Manager, Al Carranza, in advance to request approval. Include the number of who people will be at BML and the time and dates to allow us to track overall lab capacity.
- Follow “COVID-19 Policies for All Users”, listed above.